Tuesday 30 June 2015

Struggling with what to design

I had decided that I wanted to design garments that emphasize our negative perception of beauty, so like tiny waists, thigh gap, big boobs, skinny etc etc, but I'm finding it very difficult to get started! I just don't know what to design.

But then I had an idea! I googled different things like "perception of beauty", but only got make up related images. So I googled "beauty through clothing" and found this website: http://stylecaster.com/timeline-sexy-defined-through-ages/ which gave me an idea!
I'm now going to design garments specific to different decades, their recognised body shapes and popular fashion trends.
For example, if we take the 1920s, we know that the fashion was to wear clothing that made you look more masculine rather than feminine, since the war had changed women's job roles. Dresses were often straight, with no defined waist, and hair styles were short, giving a less feminine appearance.
So each model I design will be completely different, in body shape and clothing style, and I will then match an artist to my design and replicate it in their style.
I'm actually excited now I know what I'm doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment