Tuesday 23 June 2015

Artists: Initial research

So artists that I already know I like and can research into:

- Hayden Williams http://haydenwilliamsfashionillustrations.blogspot.co.uk/
> he doesn't have a website, only social media pages like blogspot, facebook, twitter, instagram, tumblr etc
> really like the way he draws women, obviously they are very skinny and have long legs which promotes a bad body expectation for women, but I can't help that I like it and think it is similar to how I draw my models.
> his work seems so delicate, I need to research how he draws, I think it's with colouring pencils?
> I also think he really captures the likeness of the people he draws, which I have always found hard to do

- Nikki Farquharson http://www.nikkifarquharson.com/
> I have studied Nikki before and I really love her work, how she incorporates doodling with felt tip pens and collage
> she is primarily a graphic artist but she does fashion illustrate occasionally, which is good because you don't tend to see graphic artists incorpoprating fashion into their work very much.

- Ben Tour http://www.thetourshow.com/
> I have also previously studied Ben Tour for AS Level, so I've studied his work, and I absolutely love it
> I really like the way the women he paints women in a weird way, almost as if they are ill? You can see the definition of the bones and features on their faces, and the models are often depicted smoking cigarettes and looking unhappy, as if there is some problem in their life
> I think his work is really deep and feel each piece has a meaning if you really look into it.
> I also really love the way he lets the ink drip and run, but he also splatters it. From experience copying this technique, it takes quite a while to make one piece because, due to how watery ink is, you have to wait for parts to dry before you do anything else, otherwise the colours bleed into each other. However, sometimes this looks good, but not always, especially if it doesn't look purposeful!

From a Google search of 'Fashion illustration' I found these images, which I then took the artist name from and found a relevant website!

- Claire Thompson http://www.helloclaire.com
> really like the ink spill and splashes!
> very slim and slender figures, like I draw
> I like how messy it is, there's detail but in a messy way

> I like these because of the bright colours and I also like the dots, how they aren't just on the models and the clothes, they go off into the background too
> I like how things are out of proportion too, e.g. the arms and heads
- Grace Ciao http://www.graceciao.com/
> really interesting use of the flower petals!
> very unique, really like this work
> not many fashion illustrators work with 3D materials, especially with something that won't last forever
> really quirky!
> love the eyes
> such weird shapes, very out of proportion
- Amelie Hegardt http://www.ameliehegardt.com/
> these are really nice, love the watercolour and ink, how it blends and merges
> might be hard to do as the colour merging might not do what I want it to

- Hattie Stewart http://hattiestewart.com/
> like how this combines felt pens with images, a type of collage I suppose?
> similar to Nikki Farquharson's work, yet different
> I'm looking forward to trying this out tbh


More work I found and liked that I couldn't find artist names for :(
love the ink / watercolour splatters

this is awesome! like the scribbles and messiness and colours

this looks so elegant, like the slightly messy aspect

this is so bizarre and messy, yet refined. really like how the colour has taken to the water on the paper

very neat, like how the colour doesn't go to the lines all over

very pretty and neat, similar to Hayden Williams, very elegant


Some nice illustrations on this site, no artist names though

No comments:

Post a Comment