Friday 22 May 2015

Designing a corset?

It wouldn't really push me if I just used a corset pattern that was ready made, so perhaps I could make my own pattern? that way, I could make it really individual and it would be totally my own work.

I found this website that shows you how to use your measurements to draw your own corset pattern
http://www.elizabethancostume.net/custompat/
Looks pretty good, it even tells you how to make it as well! It might be worth a try?

Also found this site which gives you instructions to draft your own corset pattern and make, easy enough for complete beginners!
http://foundationsrevealed.com/index-of-articles/free/beginner/74-draft-your-own-corset?showall=&limitstart=

Another good site, however these instructions are somewhat more complex, possibly a little too much for my skillset? I'll have to give it a try...
http://www.instructables.com/id/Corset-drafting-and-sewing/

I know some of the things I'm going to need, so I should probably start sourcing them!
- Boning: I'm thinking I'd like to use steel boning, to really get away from what I usually use, which is cheap plastic stuff that doesn't hold very well, and wouldn't be uncomfortable for the wearer...which is what I want
- Outer fabric: Something strong but plain I think, then again I'm not sure. Possibly calico or something?
- Lining fabric: Again, something strong, probably not the cheap polyester lining I normally buy, as I want this piece to be perfect!
(possibly) - Interfacing: Not sure if I'm gonna need this, as the fabric will hopefully be strong enough on its own, but if I do need it, I will get some really strong thick stuff, the iron on kind.
- Eyelets: I have some brass and silver eyelets already, but they're a bit crap...so I might invest in some better ones and maybe a machine to fit them properly?
- Strong ribbon: I'm going to need a lot of ribbon, and very strong ribbon!!
- Strong cotton: Probably Guterman, but a really strong type...

That's about it I think, for now anyway..!

No comments:

Post a Comment