Friday 13 February 2015

Wearable sculpture - this is what I want to do!

So, because I'd like my work to be wearable sculpture, I'm going to have to check out what's already out there in terms of wearable sculpture, because I really don't want to end up just making a costume or dress...which I tend to revert to a lot, but I need to broaden my horizons!

The link below is a cool website with images of loads of different wearable sculptures, from masks to full costumes, amateur to professional creators. Some really cool stuff, very imaginative materials, which is something to consider for my sculpture...maybe using different materials like I did with the newspaper dress I made last year?
http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2008/10/wicked-wearable-sculpture.html

Here are some images I found on google under "wearable sculpture" and the links ot the pages they came from! Really liking these things!

http://www.body-pixel.com/2010/11/09/marjorie-schick-and-sculptural-body-transformation-gallery/
This image is a computer generated design for a sculpture the artist, Marjorie Schick, actually made. Her main focus is jewellery so she creates necklaces, rings, bracelets like this, its amazing and quite restricting I'd assume. Her work is very brightly coloured and she likes the way the wearer becomes a part of the sculpture. Her work makes me think partly of marine life and partly of colourful birds; the above reminds me of a peacock!

This is like what I want to do! These are garments made from Levi jeans! Once you know, you can really see the definition of each pair, it's incredible and I can only imagine how heavy the garments must be! Created by Taiwanese artist Jeffery Wang, the project is called "Persona" and was a collaboration between Wang and Levi's. He created these sculptures from recycled Levi jeans, held together with nothing but safety pins! Wow, that must've taken a lot of safety pins, that's all I'm going to say!

This is Da'Niro Elle Brown wearing one of her sculptures. The collection is called "Lumina".

This image is really quite interesting, it's made of curled bits of paper I think, or maybe plastic? It has a natural feel, makes me think of trees.

This is part of a WWF project where 22 artists and architects are asked to create work to raise awareness of environmental issues.
"Many of the wearable sculptures are composed of materials that explicitly reference a variety of environmental concerns: plastic bottles covered in newspaper papier-maché, intricately folded recycled paper, feathers, and rubber, among the examples. the performances range from interactive shows to musical performances."
Really like the use of different materials in these works, and how they all look like a collection of work, despite being created by different artists. Obviously they were all on the same page for this project!

These hats are immense! The amount of work that must have gine into them, and how expensive they must be to make...ahhh I'm in awe! They really are beautiful, the texture of them and how the light catches on the different colours, I really really admire the amount of skill these took! They are very literal and I like that, because I think they would have to be for them to work in this sense, whereas I'd like to do something less literal with my work, also I don't think I'll be using felt! I haven't the patience!

Slightly less about wearable sculpture but still, any dress that is extravagant like the above one is like a sculpture! This blog post comments on a few garments from New York Fashion Week; the colours, style, contrast etc and it's quite helpful to see what immediately comes to mind for each garment. I can use this information to influence my designs.


Daniele Papuli's archictechural wearable sculpture garments. Created using a paper meduim, thousands of thin sheets. Resembled rays of light and weaved basket motifs.

Wearable sculpture can be pretty much anything, because after all, altering your body shape in some way is basically making yourself into something you're not...a sculpture! Putting on a piece of clothing is casting your body, the only difference is that the clothes go back to how they were before when you take them off, unlike plaster or mod roc for example.

All these wearable sculptures are very structural and don't necessarily use fabric like a garment would. Lots to think about...hmm

No comments:

Post a Comment