Tuesday 10 February 2015

Experimenting with pva glue and fabric


Thought I might be able to create structure by stiffening fabric using PVA, so I made a cast of Elicia using mod roc as she will be wearing my garment on SeWhat hopefully! I wrapped the cast in cling film and put some fairly thick fabric over it, before pouring some watered down PVA on top, rubbing it into the fabric. I wrinkled up the fabric where I wanted to contour it, around the waist for example. Really don't like this, it's too hard to control all the fabric! Maybe try small strips instead?
PROBLEM: The glue dribbled off the cast and onto the excess fabric, stiffening that bit too which I wanted to mould at a later date, so that was an issue. 


Quick sketch of how strips could look if I make one side longer and the other shorter? Maybe adding some wicker as well to create a natural looking effect and some extra stability.
stages of making:
I overlapped the fabric a bit so that it would hopefully stick together.








 
the ends look rubbish...maybe cut them off and have the dress the same length along the bottom?

*I ended up using a glue gun to secure the strips of fabric from the inside, just to make sure they didn't come apart!*

No comments:

Post a Comment