Thursday 26 June 2014

My marbling ink samples

These are the photos I took while I was using the marbling inks! I used a tray and poured some water into it - not a lot but enough to fill the bottom with a little depth.
 
Below are the marbling inks I used, I didn't have many colours but they are all quite bright.


This is the sample that looks like elephant skin, all I did was drip some black ink into the water and it started to spread out so I quickly threw a piece of white cotton in to capture the ink as it was spreading! I really like this sample actually and I also think it looks a little like water where the light catches the ripples, only on the bit where the ink has spread out more though.


This was a paper sample I did but the ink just stuck to the paper and looked really greasy! It also took absolutely ages to dry and it's made the paper more, sort of, brittle as well. It does look quite cool now it's dried though!


This is a small fabric sample where I was just playing with colours and how they swirled around each other but didn't blend together! The power of ink! I vaguely remember why from science lessons at secondary school... something about hydrophobic and hydrophilic, oil is hydrophobic so has a "phobia" of water and therefore they won't mix! Hydrophilic is when the substance will mix with water :) science taught me something at least...

 
For this sample I used black and orange inks to try and create a tiger fur kind of effect, however the colours stayed mainly in their 'blobs', rather than spreading and forming stripes like I'd hoped, but ah well, it's all experimenting! This was also on paper and has given the paper brittle, greasy kind of feel.


These four images show the process, the first shows the ink having been dripped into the water, it just sort of stays in it's blobs and gradually begins to spread out, but doesn't mix.


To create this effect I have just swirled the colours round with a stick to make swirls and mix the colours more.


I then put four small pieces of cotton into the water and as you can see, they have soaked up the ink! :)


These are the four pieces of cotton that I marbled, now stuck into my book! I like the top two best as they both capture the swirls that I created.

No comments:

Post a Comment