Tuesday 17 June 2014

Life drawing - the middle stages of my development

As you can see, I'm starting to get into my own kind of technique with the life drawing now, using charcoal and being fairly messy with it, yet refined. I also started to focus on certain aspects of the body, mainly the torso. I found that I tended to start by drawing the head but I would then draw the body in a slightly bigger scale to the head that I had started off with!




We then went on to use white paint on black paper and paint with our fingers. I quite liked this technique as it's very messy and, it sounds cheesy, but I almost feel more engaged in the artwork because I'm using my hands rather than a pencil or charcoal. I do like the technique a lot, however the result is possibly a little too messy for my liking, not quite refined enough.


(below) this one is probably my favourite out of the finger painting pieces.

The drawings below are chalk on black paper, where we had to focus on drawing the light areas, using the black paper as the darkness. I quite like these drawings too as they are quite similar to the charcoal ones I did. This is a good technique to use and I enjoyed using it.


(below) I especially like this piece!


Painting with yellow, red and blue! We had to use blue for the dark areas, yellow for the light areas and red for the medium tones. I didn't use much red, as I just preferred to blend the yellow and blue, making the medium toned areas a green-ish colour. I used a small paintbrush and I quite like these pieces too!


(below) In this piece I combined finger painting and the colour / tone technique. I really like this a\s it's more refined than the white paint finger painting technique and the colour brings the piece to life.


I then returned to using a brush again, still avoiding using red... I have no idea why!


This is a drawing I did using an app on my iPhone called SketchbookX. My phone is relatively small so it was hard to draw on with my thumb and fingers!


This is a quick sketch of a guy in McDonalds done using the same app. The definition is pretty good if you consider the scale of my iPhone!

No comments:

Post a Comment