Thursday 22 May 2014

Plaster abstraction sculpture - developing the technique

On Tuesday in the 3D session we were creating wire mesh armatures and stuffing them with newspaper for added strength. This was to prepare them for the plaster we were to coat them with! Never used this technique before, only done plaster casts so it was interesting to be using plaster in a different way! We had to wear overalls, Kevlar gloves and goggles when using the wire to avoid scratching or stabbing ourselves or each other! When using the plaster we had to wear overalls and rubber gloves as the plaster can irritate the skin if subjected to prolonged contact. We cut pieces of scrim to place into the plaster and coat the armature with, similar to the mod roc process. I started from the bottom and worked upwards, paying particular attention to the neck as this can become very unstable and unsupportive of the head when building up an armature like this (something I've discovered with previous sculptures!). I had to prop my sculpture up with cardboard despite this as the plaster was making it very heavy and the head was leaning to one side! I haven't managed to finish the whole thing yet as the plaster needs time to harden before I start again otherwise it would just fall over and the sculpture would be ruined! :o I plan to finish this after half term and make smears with my fingers in the top coat of plaster to create a smudged paint style, similar to the Frank Auerbach's paintings (last photos). I'd like to combine this style with the images of facial distortion that I have taken where faces are pressed against glass but I'm still in the process of working out how to! But I shall keep you updated :)




No comments:

Post a Comment