Tuesday 13 May 2014

Abstraction using clay

Started off not really knowing how to go about abstracting the face, to make it look like it had been squashed, similar to what Jenny Saville did with her body. Dropping the clay on the table sort of splatted it, but I needed to control it more. Using my thumbs and fingers I sort of wiped the clay to blur / smudge the features, however that made the faces look scared and screaming! I then went on to smudge the clay more and all over, to create a similar look to a painting by Frank Auerbach, where it looks like he has physically painted a woman with oil paints. Because oils are fairly think, I could create this effect with the clay, the smears I made with my fingers were like brush strokes with thick paint. In the end I was adding bits of clay to the basic bust model ad smearing them as I added each tiny piece. This build up of clay looks really effective and I'm thinking of what other materials to try to create a similar model but on a larger scale?

No comments:

Post a Comment